7th January 2018
Number 24

FA Vase

Melksham Town have booked their spot in the last 16 of the FA Vase following a 2-1 victory at home to Crowborough Athletic. After Henry Muggeridge had missed a first-half penalty for the visitors, Mike Perrott fired Melksham ahead on the hour mark. Dan Perry then responded from the spot to draw the sides level, with substitute Ryan Bole scoring Town’s winner seven minutes from time. In the GFA Challenge Trophy, Josh Egan’s goal led Bitton to a 1-0 win at home to Chipping Sodbury Town, while Cadbury Heath fell to a 1-0 loss away at Hardwicke.

Premier Division

Willand Rovers moved up to second in the league following a comprehensive 7-1 win at home to Wells City. The home side were two goals up inside nine minutes through Luke Mortimore and Brad Ausden before Fletcher Williams headed home a third on the half hour. First-half sub David Steele added goals either side of the break, with Brett Worbey and Josh Searle completing the scoring. Hallen forged back from two goals down to claim a 2-2 draw at home to Clevedon Town. After goals from Lucas Vowles and Liam Dempsey had given the away side a two-goal lead inside 26 minutes, Aaron Anglin reduced the deficit prior to half-time, before Daryl Charman scored an equaliser after the break just minutes after Jack Sell had been sent off for Clevedon. Craig Loxton’s fourth-minute free-kick proved to be the only goal in the game during Shepton Mallet’s 1-0 win away at Wellington. At The Lawns, Cribbs brushed off a disappointing Christmas period with a 3-1 win at home to Hengrove Athletic. Sol Wanjau-Smith had put the home side ahead after 13 minutes, only for Hengrove to level things up through Joe Brimble just before the half hour mark. Darren Edwards restored Cribbs’ lead just prior to half-time, before Ben Dowdell added the only goal of the second-half.

First Division

Corsham Town v Chard Town
©John Cuthbertson

A second-half cameo from Ken Oni helped Roman Glass St George overturn a 3-1 half-time deficit to claim a 4-3 win away at Sherborne Town. In a game involving two sides at opposite ends of the table, it was the struggling Sherborne who were in the control at the break following a brace from Tim Trevett which sandwiched a goal from Harry Vandervell. Oni’s emergence at the break made all the difference however, and after he struck twice to level the game, Jordan Greenwood snatched the victory with a headed effort. Chard Town moved up into eighth spot after goals from Kieran Bailey, Liam Cleal and Andy Holmes handed them a 3-0 victory away at Corsham Town. At Nursteed Road, bottom-side Portishead Town came from behind on two occasions to claim a 2-2 draw with Devizes Town. Jamie Walters opened the scoring for Devizes with the only goal of the first-half, but then less than two minutes after the interval Portishead got back on level terms thanks to a header from James Clarke. A wonder strike from Jack Hopper edged Devizes into the lead once more, but for the second time the away side managed to respond, with Joe Ellis taking advantage of a defensive mix-up to grab a share of the points. In a battle between two of the top-five, Westbury United took advantage of Keynsham Town’s postponement to move top of the league thanks to a 3-1 win away at Welton Rovers. The game started tremendously for Welton who were ahead after just seven minutes following an audacious lob from 40 yards by returning centre-back Joe Battrick. Their lead lasted less than two minutes however, with Jake Hiscocks scoring directly from a free-kick by way of the goalpost. Ricky Hulbert scored for the second consecutive away match to give Westbury their first lead of the afternoon, with Jamie Jordan’s strike 25 minutes from time then wrapping up a vital victory. At Cothelstone Road, Bishops Lydeard and Almondsbury shared the points following a 2-2 draw. Goals from Harry Brock and Greg Parr had twice put the visitors ahead, but equalisers from James Quick and Mark Cornish, with the latter coming in the 89th minute, meant that Bishops Lydeard would gain a share of the spoils. There was also a draw in the fixture between Chippenham Park and Bristol Telephones, with Lewis McCarron once more scoring for the home side during their 1-1 draw at Hardenhuish Park.


PDF Copy