8th April 2018
Number 37

Midweek Action

Wincanton Town were knocked out of the Somerset Premier Cup at the quarter-final stages, falling to a 6-0 defeat against National League South outfit Weston-super-Mare. In the First Division on Thursday evening, James Boyland struck 20 minutes from time to claim a 1-1 draw for Chard Town against Ashton & Backwell United, with the away side ahead at the break following Miles Hardidge’s opener.

Les Phillips Cup

Shepton Mallet v Bridport
©Haydn Jones

Shepton Mallet goalkeeper Tom Easterbrook’s penalty heroics helped his side overcome Bridport to book their spot in the Les Phillips Cup semi-finals. With the game switched to Shepton’s home ground following overnight rain, the away side went ahead just before the half hour through Leigh Bailey, only for Tom Hill to equalise just prior to the break. With just eight minutes left on the clock, Richard Hebditch restored Bridport’s lead, but they were unable to hang on, and with the final kick of normal time, Tyson Pollard converted a penalty to extend the game for an extra half-hour. Following a goalless extra-time period, the game went to spot kicks, and Easterbrook excelled, saving three Bridport penalties as his side prevailed 3-1 to book a date with Bridgwater Town in the final four.

Premier Division

Street continued their march towards the league title with a 2-0 win over nearest rivals Melksham Town. The Cobblers made a dream start, with Josh Wadham firing them ahead in the 7th minute, but they had to wait until stoppage time to wrap things up, with Jake Mawford adding gloss to the scoreline with their second. At Silver Street, Willand Rovers left it late before claiming a 3-2 win at home to Cribbs. After goals from Brett Worbey had put the hosts ahead at the beginning of either half, firstly Dan Spicer, and then Sam Iles clawed things back for the visitors. With two points on the line, Aidan Moyle scored for the second consecutive game to help Willand leapfrog Melksham up into third. Bradford Town also moved up a spot, and now sit second, after goals in either half from Sam Jordan sandwiched a Karim Rendall during their 3-0 victory over Hallen.

Odd Down produced a magnificent fightback, scoring three goals in the final ten minutes to claim a 3-3 draw at home to Clevedon Town. Following goals from Lucas Vowles, Tyler Ashmead and Saikou Janneh, the visitors looked certain to win, before Kyle Norris scored what looked like a consolation nine minutes from time. Fellow substitute Jake Sinclair then scored his first goal for the club to give Odd Down hope, with Adnan Hiroli completing the magnificent comeback three minutes into stoppage time, heading home a corner. Cadbury Heath eased their relegation fears somewhat, winning 4-0 away at 19th placed Longwell Green Sports thanks to a brace from Matt Huxley, plus goals from Simon McElroy and Sacha Tong.

Bridgwater Town suffered a third straight defeat away from home, falling to a 3-1 loss at the hands of Bitton. Joe McLennan and Ben Lewis handed the home side a two-goal advantage at the break, with Ibrahima Diallo making it 3-0 from the spot, before Jack Taylor struck 20 minutes from time for Bridgy. There was late drama at the Ridings, where Chipping Sodbury Town made it three wins on the bounce thanks to a 2-1 triumph at home to Wellington. George Box was the hero for the Sods, and after handing them an 11th minute lead, he struck two minutes into second half stoppage time to claim the win after Wellington had got back on level terms.

First Division

Corsham Town v Cheddar
©John Cuthbertson

Roman Glass St George extended their lead atop the table to three points following a 4-2 win away at bottom side Warminster Town. Ryan Radford scored a hat-trick for the visitors to lead them to their 25th league victory of the campaign, with Jake Cox also scoring before the break, while Charlie Walton and James Bowden each struck for Warminster in defeat. Keynsham Town secured their second consecutive high-scoring home victory, with Ben Bament scoring a hat-trick during their 5-1 win over Calne Town. After Matt Long had given the K’s an 11th minute lead, Bament struck twice before the break, and then completed his treble 20 minutes from time, with Kyle Box adding the finishing touches to their win three minutes from time. Westbury United remain in second spot, one point ahead of Keynsham, after they drew 1-1 away at Chard Town. After falling behind in the third minute to Max Westlake’s opener, Westbury went home with a point thanks to Mark Robinson’s equaliser during an entertaining opening quarter.

James Rustell went one better than Keynsham’s Bament and Roman Glass’s Radford, with the frontman scoring four goals to propel Radstock Town to a 5-1 win at home to Bristol Telephones. After falling behind to Leon Britton’s early header, Jack Biddiscombe equalised for Radstock with a well-taken free-kick before Rustell took over, striking once before the break, and then three times during the second-half with two of his goals coming from the penalty spot. Cheddar moved up to fifth in the league, after goals from Danny Griffiths and Robbie Maggs handed them a 2-0 win away at Corsham Town. There was also an away victory for Almondsbury, where Alex Bisp scored twice, adding to goals from Ashley Knight and Greg Parr during their 4-0 win over Bishop Sutton.

Chippenham Park have now gone six games without defeat, after two goals from Aaron Ledgister added to strikes from Ben Pring and Jamie Cunning to cap a 5-2 triumph away at Sherborne Town. After the bad weather had waterlogged their pitch, Malmesbury Victoria were forced to take their fixture with Wincanton Town to Cirencester’s Corinium Stadium, and on Saturday evening they fell to a 3-1 defeat despite taking the lead against their opponents from Somerset. Joe Tranter had fired the Vics ahead, but Wincanton fought back with Andy Mitchell equalising on the half hour, before Darren Shearer and Dan Wise struck during the second-half to complete the turnaround. Ashton & Backwell United were another side to stage a fightback, with a brace from Will Manning helping them come from two goals down to draw 2-2 at home to Devizes Town for whom Jay Walters and Tom Slater had struck earlier in the piece. The points were also shared at the Aitchison Playing Field where defences were on top during Oldland Abbotonians 0-0 draw with Bishops Lydeard.


PDF Copy