Match Reports

Wincanton Town 0 - 2 Roman Glass St George
First Division

Friday 16th February 2018

A goal in each half from Rhys Hodgson and substitute Jordan Yeo were enough to bring Roman Glass St George three points and lift them into second place on goal difference from Keynsham Town, both just a point behind leaders Westbury United, albeit for around 20 hours writes Kerry Miller.

The rare Friday night match at Moor Lane was played under sad circumstances as following the death of club president Tony Barker the match was brought forward as the funeral was at 3pm on the Saturday. In truth there are any number of people who deserve praise for getting the game played which attracted a crowd around double the normal average on a chilly night at Wincanton.

North Bristol to Wincanton is not an easy journey but the club graciously agreed to travel on a Friday night rather than cause yet another postponement in what has become a decidedly damp season and somehow the staff in charge of the pitch managed to fashion some kind of surface to play on and despite it being a swamp in small areas, both teams got on with it and it resembled what used to be a typical Western League pitch not that many years ago and was none the worse for that.

Referee Ryan Saward and colleagues Colin Skyrme and Mark Vipond gave up their Friday nights at short notice and used plenty of common sense in getting the game on when many wouldn’t have and although there were six bookings the game never got out of hand and there was always something going on.

The Wasps went into the game having impressively held Westbury to a 2-2 draw last Saturday following a derby win over Chard in the midweek while Roman Glass are in a three way title race and brought a good following with them to swell the crowd along with a number of neutrals, all showing the benefits of Friday night football.

Both sides took a while to get some toe hold on the tricky surface before Tom Morris tested Josh Dempsey from distance but it only took the visitors nine minutes to go in front when an awkward bounce deceived a home defender and Hodgson pounced to crash home the opener from 15 yards.

Morris was seeing plenty of the ball and watched his cross shot miss everyone and the goal then at the other end Hodgson’s long cross was nodded over by Ken Oni, who then might have done better when he side-footed a volley against a defender and out for a corner. Lewis Wentland went close to doubling the lead on the half hour and as Roman Glass dominated the half Liam Norris tipped a Ryan Radford effort over and Wentland twice went close.

Late in the half Oni went down under a challenge in the box but referee Saward was in a good position to waive away the appeal with many expecting a positive decision and Wincanton went into the break just a goal down.

They took the game to Roman Glass from the restart with Marcus Cook having a shot blocked and Connor Williams bringing a save out of Dempsey then Cook again was inches wide as they enjoyed a good spell and for a short while it seemed the benches were considering some deletions on their Christmas card lists as temperatures rose but they just a quickly calmed down and a goal against the run of play from Yeo took the sting out of the game and from there the points were safe. Following Wentland again going close Oni battled for a ball on the edge of the area and when it reached Yeo, his scuffed shot went in off the far post to settle visiting nerves and frustrate home supporters.

Tom Morris saw an effort hacked away from near the line late on but as the boggy surface took it s toll the game slowed and Cook’s drive in injury time brought the save of the night out of Dempsey who was no doubt delighted with his clean sheet and second place in Division One.

Return to Match Reports