Match Reports

Bishop Sutton 6 - 0 Warminster Town
First Division

Tuesday 6th March 2018

Visiting Warminster were soon wishing that Sutton’s Lakeside pitch was still under a foot of snow on Tuesday night when their awkward cross country journey from Wiltshire turned into a nightmare evening in Division One of the Toolstation Western League.

Midway through the first half Sutton were already 5-0 up and had also had one chalked off for offside and Town needed snookers as the home attack enjoyed the wide open spaces of the opposition defence. Striker Oaklan Buck netted twice inside seven minutes and went on to complete a hat-trick and could have had half a dozen himself but to Warminster’s credit they reorganised after the break and played some football themselves although the damage was irreparable by then.

The home ground staff had seemingly pulled off a feat of Canute proportions to prepare the pitch which by rights should have looked not unlike an extension of nearby Chew Valley Lake but it was superb and showed no signs of cutting up as the home attack went for the throat from the kick-off and when Josh Keen threaded an inch-perfect pass to Buck inside four minutes the outcome was inevitable with a clinical finish. Minutes later Buck exchanged passes with Reece John and Town keeper Nathan Ball was again exposed at the young striker doubled the tally in identical fashion and worse was to follow on 15 minutes when Ben Snell was given the freedom of the village to pick his spot with a left foot strike from 12 yards to make it 3-0.

Warminster’s patched up squad was shell-shocked and Mason Daggar put Buck in to bundle in another but it was ruled offside however, with only 22 minutes showing on the clock Snell again was involved in some good play and his cross found Daggar who rifled home the fourth with the visiting officials and players alike trying to convince themselves it was all a bad dream and never to eat cheese again late at night. Sadly it was all too real and a minute later Sam Downes and Daggar teamed up to find Josh Keen who made it 5-0 before Warminster had barely had a kick and double figures was looking a distinct possibility.

They did break and begin to play around the half hour and Josh Yacub punched away a Charlie Walton free-kick then Lewis Graham went on a run before having a shot blocked but it was a rare sortie and Kai Long put Buck in again only for him to stopped illegally by Graham who was booked and possibly in different circumstances could have seen a different coloured card, although those of a benevolent nature were pleased he didn’t.

Stuart Lisowski volleyed wide for Town on the whistle leaving manager Simon Farrell with no shortage of topics for discussion over a cuppa at the break, that supposing the tea wasn’t introduced to the wall in Fergie style rather than used to warm up chilled players.

A double substitution introduced Jake Herd and James Bodman for the restart and Town looked more organised and saw far more possession with ex-boss Mark Breffit wide with the first effort. Sutton were in no mood to relax or declare and Buck was still looking for his hat-trick but was denied by Ball before the recent plans again went south as Walton was carried off with a leg injury on the hour. Sam Scholbinks’ 25 yard effort was deflected wide and Jake Herd brought a stunning save out of the previously redundant Yakub, who went on to protect his clean sheet with a series of fine stops but Sutton then began to squander chances and Daggar hit the post with a header from a corner.

Herd then was denied by Yakub and Buck again nodded wide before Long surely must have incurred an end of season club fine for being booked for dissent when five goals up before Yakub again somehow kept out Herd on the hour.

Finally Buck claimed his treble on 76 minutes from ten yards out to make it a round half dozen before Warminster escaped back home to lick their wounds and prepare for the visit of Bishops Lydeard on Saturday. At the same time Sherborne Town were edging a nine goal thriller at Portishead which left Town at the basement but with all three clubs separated by just a point and Ashton and Backwell Unitedc and Corsham Town both looking anxiously over their shoulders, there is plenty more to play for at that end of the table. It was Bishop Sutton’s 13th league win and takes the former league champions to the heady heights of eighth as they go to Malmesbury Victoria On Saturday.

Andy, Have you sent that email to the secretaries as discussed yet, as so far I haven’t met anyone who has received it, and we already have half a dozen of the dreaded 1pm kick offs listed for Easter which is looming?

Return to Match Reports